Wednesday, February 03, 2010

3/365: Job Specific Training

Anyone else getting PASSIONATELY excited for this coming month?

I attended the job specific orientation for my volunteering position in the coming Olympics. I thought it would be neat but after today, I've become quite flammable to Olympic fire that's going around! I'm volunteering as a Pharmacist in the Olympic Village's Polyclinic. The setup they have to host the country's athletes, delegates, family members, coaches, etc. are just AMAZING! The clinic coordinates every health profession and service I can imagine (except for surgical in the Vancouver Olympic Village, but there is a surgical unit on the Whistler branch). We have our doctors and nurses of course, and then we have physiotherapists, podiatrists, ophthalmologist, dentists, acupuncture-ist, radiologist/imaging, paramedics, lab technicians... we even have a mobile MRI unit! The feedback we've received from the IOC (international Olympic committee) was Vancouver has the most advanced and complete medical services available to the Olympic participants compared to any other year. I guess all that debt we'll be in won't be for nothing eh?

The Olympic Village itself is just gorgeous too! They have this one building, the Salt House, where Olympians can lounge and relax... I didn't bring my 5D II with me today but BOY I wish I did! Tonight was the only chance I got to take pictures inside the Salt Building (Living Room) because it's still empty (most of the athletes are arriving tomorrow and since I'm allowed to be in such close proximity with the athletes, we're expected not to harass them with pictures and autographs, especially since the Village is suppose to be their home away from home). The Salt House is like a lounge, decked out in dreamy lights with a bar, piano, lounge chairs, pool tables, foosball... just amazing. And just outside is a park area in the middle of the Village with more glowing lights and beautiful benches, and the entire setup is facing False Creek. Across the water you can see Canada Place and Vancouver Hockey Place, the "Q" and Science World. Expect more photos to come as I spend my days in there!

Bbelow is a photo inside the Living Room, you can make out the piano and bar-area if you use some imagination to get past my camera shake...

3/365: Salt Building
a80; Shutter speed 1/2s; Aperture f/2.8; Focal 8mm

3 comments:

  1. Wow, so jealous you get to be so close to the athletes. I want to meet Apollo Anton Ohno...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, sounds nice!
    While you probably get to see famous athletes I might get to see older folks.. namely the IOC president, kings and queens, and other people in suits. I want to work back and forth between village too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. that's so cool! I can't wait to see the village! I start my first day of training there tomorrow because I'm also part of the Team Welcome Ceremonies. I'm going to bring my little camera and see how well that goes.

    ReplyDelete